Do you not only know where all your assets are, but have the all-important serial numbers recorded?
An IT asset management system doesn’t need to be expensive, and for small businesses it could simply be an excel spreadsheet which contains all the information you need, when you need it. Information such as :
- Purchase date
- Purchase amount
- Supplier details
- Allocated asset number (if you use asset numbers)
- Serial / IMEI / License number
- Location (ie in stock, in a cupboard, with a member of staff)
Do you know where all your assets are? What software is installed on computers/laptops and if that software is legal?
Why should you record this information?
Firstly, if you ever had any item lost or stolen, then you have everything you need for your Insurance company. How many of us know the serial number for our mobile phones? How would you block something or list it as stolen if you didn’t know it? And did you know, with Dell computers you can register your serial number as stolen which flags up in their database. I assume you can do this with other manufacturers too, but without serial numbers you cannot do anything.
And secondly, for the larger businesses among you, if you are thinking about achieving your ISO 27001 certification, then these are all questions you must know the answer too.
HBS are resellers for Alloy Software, one of their products being an IT Asset Management (ITAM) solution which offers the ability to:
- Automatically* & Manually Track Assets
- Software Compliance
- Among other features.
* The software polls your network and reports back ALL IT equipment connected to your domain. You also have the ability to add items manually, such as phones, furniture, Laptop bags, etc. Anything you wish to record in your asset database can go in here. Licenses are only needed for the automatic polling. Manual items are free and unlimited.
So in answer to the question, YES you should have an IT Asset Management system of some description.
I have created an Excel Spreadsheet template of information to be recorded. You can download this for FREE by clicking HERE
You can read more about Alloy Software here : IT Asset Management
If you have any questions regarding the above, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch. email@example.com or 07785798324